A heartfelt THANK YOU to all who participated in the Northwest Coast Presbytery Leadership Summit on Friday and Saturday April 17-18, 2015! Almost 150 Presbyterians gathered for a summit that focused primarily on constitutional amendments proposed by the General Assembly. Here’s a brief recap.
The morning began with by installing our new Moderator, Ruling Elder Kathleen Hansen of Snohomish PC. Elder Hansen did a fantastic job of moderating her first Leadership Summit!
Following worship with Rev. Claudia Rowe preaching from Paul’s letter to the Philippians we invested the morning in discussion and discernment on the marriage amendment and a conversation about “what now?”
Rev. Chris Pritchett (John Knox PC in Seattle) and Rev. Sandy Hackett (Lake City PC in Seattle) blessed us with an honest, insightful and respectful dialogue on their differing perspectives about the marriage amendment. They dialogued a second time about “What Now? Why and how shall we grow in mission and ministry together?”
Commissioners broke into groups of 4-5 people from different perspectives to share their thoughts and feelings on the same questions.
The morning concluded with the Lord’s Supper.
Here’s how NWC Presbytery voted on the proposed amendments:
Disapproved the Marriage Amendment [Amendment 14-F]
- Approved the Belhar Confession being added to the Book of Confessions [Amendment 14-1]
- Disapproved Renunciation of Jurisdiction [Amendment 14.A]
- Approved both preparation process amendments [Amendments 14-B.1 and 14-B.2]
- Approved Child Protection Policy [Amendment 14-C]
- Approved Minimum Composition of a Presbytery [Amendment 14-D]
- Approved Interreligious Stance [Amendment 14-E]
For updates on how these amendments are playing out nationwide, click here.